The story of Melody Farm Shepherds Huts
Melody Farm Shepherds Huts takes it’s name from the main house on the site where the shepherds huts stand – Melody Farm. The history of Melody Farm and recent developments makes for an interesting story.
The main house at Melody Farm, originally known as ‘Chycowling’, has its first record of ownership in 1565 in the name of Darrel Stephens. Following this, many documents name a Richard Cowlinge, son of John Cowlinge, and also Geoffery Cowlinge as residents. This would most likely be where the name initially came from as ‘Chy’ is from the ancient Cornish Celtic language meaning ‘house of’ and therefore ‘Chycowling’ would mean ‘house of the Cowling’. After this, Chycowling was owned by the Earl of Falmouth (the Boscawen family) who also owned the Tregothnan Estate.
The grounds around Melody Farm (farmland, fields and meadows) were owned in pre-Victorian times by a small number of Cornish families. Names such as Tremayne and Lemon of Carclew, Boscawen and Agar-Robartes of Lanhydrock appear on many land deals and leases in this area over several generations. Each of these families were wealthy, all owed their wealth to mining, alongside backgrounds as merchants and bankers. The families of Agar, Lemon and Boscawen owned most of the land, which now makes up the village of Carnon Downs, which Melody Farm Shepherds Huts sits just on the edge of.
Since 1920 the property has undergone several changes of ownership. Until the late 1990s it operated as a small caravan and camping park, then in 1999 the old house and the remains of the outbuildings were demolished and replaced by the present house. The formal gardens were established during this time.
Tim and Brigitte bought Melody Farm in 2010, moving here from Kent, with a vision to create what is today called The Emerald, the UKs first zero carbon holiday destination. The Emerald opened in the summer of 2013 and has been such a success that they’ve been keen to develop what’s offered further, without impacting on the environment or the secluded nature of The Emerald. In 2015, it was decided that the addition of shepherds huts would be the perfect compliment to the eco properties already on the site and in the Autumn of that year they began to receive their first guests.